The 30 Days Of Anime Challenge!

anime
The 30 Days Of Anime Challenge!

21.) What is your favorite female and/or male character?

I have quite a lot of favorite male characters, but I’m gonna say it’s between Oz Vessalius from Pandora Hearts or Train Heartnet from Black Cat.

Favorite female character would have to be…either Akemi Homura from Madoka Magika or Iki Hiyori from Noragami.

1. What is your favorite female and/or male character?

Female- Usagi from Sailor Moon, Sango from Inuyasha, Misty from Pokemon, Sora from Digimon

Male- Shippo from Inuyasha, Ash from Pokemon, Matt from Digimon

Day 20: What is your least favorite thing about anime?
The fans.

Tough question ngl. I think Mahiru from danganronpa and L from death note.

I’m struggling to think of a character that I absolutely love. I like a lot of characters, but one rarely stands out to me, anymore. Maybe Kotaro Tatsumi from Zombieland Saga? Mainly because his voice actor sounds like he’s having way too much fun during the episodes.

What is your favorite female and/or male character?

Basically this, which is why I’ve come to prefer cartoons over anime. There are a lot of characters I really like but usually not as much character development as I would prefer. So female would simply have to be Taiga from Toradora and then I don’t think I have a male character who I like a lot besides Edward from FMAB.

Day 21: What is your favorite female and/or male character?

Now that you mention it, it is kind of tough to name a ‘favorite’ character, isn’t it…

I guess a favorite male character might be Tomomi Masaoka from Psycho-Pass because I feel like that show put a lot of focus on character development, and he seemed like a pretty thoughtful and kind character given the grim setting of the show. Female character choice might be Suzuha Amane from Steins;Gate, with honorable mentions to Kurisu and Ruka from that as well. I really liked the cast of that show in general, even if it was a little cheesy and strange… I don’t know why, but something about the weird way you’re introduced to the cast made it more memorable to me. Gah I can’t be asked to explain it but I like it okay >_>

I’m a little late so this’ll be a long post.

1.) Who or what got you into anime in the first place, or how did you discover it?
While my first exposure to anime was DBZ on Toonami in my early youth I never really knew it as anime at the time. It wasn’t until my introduction to the internet in middle school that allowed me to realize what anime was and gained an appreciation for it as a whole.

2.) What do you think of OVAs?
I’m really fond of 80’s OVA’s like Devilman, Guyver, etc. Never really bothered with modern ones. They’re typically specials of already existing anime rather than independent works so they don’t offer as much for me.

3.) Have you ever read the manga before/after an anime? What did you think?
I’m as involved with manga as I am with anime so yes.

4.) What is your favorite anime movie?
Akira and GitS 1995.

5.) Has a series ever made you cry?
Not really. Saddened at most but never outwardly.

6.) What’s your favorite anime facial expression?
Probably anything silly Kumiko would make.

7.) Do you have a favorite voice actor, and who might it be?
Maybe Norio Wakamoto is my favorite seiyuu because his voice is distinctive. Also because he played Dracula in Castlevania SotN. Favorite English VA would have to be Steve Blum.

8.) Where do you watch your shows or read your manga?
If I can, I’d buy. Otherwise I download or stream.

9.) Have you ever played a game based off of an anime?
None special ever caught my eye.

10.) What is your favorite anime animal or creature?
Hard to choose. My memory is piss poor when thinking of one.

11.) What anime would you want you live in?
None at all.

12.) What is your least favorite anime to date?
Offhand it’d be Berserk 2016-17, the CGI one. It makes me seethe.

13.) How would you improve your favorite anime, or would you at all?
DBZ on it’s over saturation of power scaling and lack of side character relevance.

14.) Do you, or did you used to, follow the monthly/irregular updates for your favorite manga?
Only for Berserk even with the plethora of hiatuses Kentaro Miura takes. Same situation would be for Vagabond too but I need to read more to catch up.

15.) Overall, do you prefer the manga or the anime of any given series?
It’s series dependent for me. Some series work better in one medium over the other.

16.) Would you consider anime better than Western animation?
Yes but that’s clearly bias. That and I’ve never really paid attention to western animation for years so memories are hazy for what I’ve watched in my youth so I couldn’t make a fair comparison if I wanted to.

17.) What is your favorite series?
Hard to choose between Dragonball and Cowboy Bebop.

18.) What genre do you prefer in your anime?
Adventure with good world building.

19.) What is your least favorite genre?
Probably Isekai.

20.) What is your least favorite thing about anime?
A lot of generic overused tropes in many anime that are just plain cheap and stale to me. It gives a lack of identity and real expressiveness a show can have.

Male- Goku and Guts
Female- Kumiko Oumae and Rei Ayanami

1.) Who or what got you into anime in the first place, or how did you discover it?
Uh…so this is kind of a longish short story. Waaaaay back in the day me and my brother picked up a game called Orphen: Scion of Sorcery. It was this odd little…Action RPG, I guess you could call it, where you played as this sorcerer on an abandoned ship and escape with one of three of the passengers, each with their own story and ending. 'Course, at the time it was a bit too confusing for me and tbh it still is since that game had some very odd mechanics, but I digress.

So years later we got Comcast, a step up from Satellite, and that was notable for being (I believe) the only service to have on demand. We found out about the Anime Network (not knowing what anime was at the time, Dragon Ball, Pokemon, etc. were just cartoons to us) and found out that it was a show. That was the start of everything, got really into it from there. Those Who Hunt Elves, Sorcerer Hunters, Burn Up, Angelic Layer, some good times, thinking back.

2.) What do you think of OVAs?
Nothing, really, they’re fine. Honestly I like the more free form way they can be used to release anime, rather than being forced into a stricter episode requirement. It leads to a lot of tighter and more experimental formats, so I guess I’m a fan but I don’t necessarily prefer them.

3.) Have you ever read the manga before/after an anime? What did you think?
Before has only really happened twice, one of which was The Law of Ueki, since I found it in a bookstore randomly and liked it, only to find out that it had a show. Nisekoi was a similar case, where I trialed it with the first volume and then watched the show. I suppose Dr.Stone will count as this once its anime comes out

As for the opposite, more than I can count. If it’s a romance anime that I watched, chances are I read it too because the anime stopped short. Fruits Basket, Cardcaptors, Ouran, and Inuyasha (since Final Act wouldn’t come out for a few years) immediately come to mind, and I enjoyed them all. Helped that the art beat out their adaptations by a mile, but I’d still rewatch those shows, looking back. School Rumble, too.

4.) What is your favorite anime movie?
Summer Wars. It’s also just my favorite anime in general.

5.) Has a series ever made you cry?
Probably, but none that come to mind. I have been tearing up at anime more than usual, I feel like being in a relationship kind of put me in that mode of being more emotionally invested in the things I do.

6.) What’s your favorite anime facial expression?
This is a dangerous question.

7.) Do you have a favorite voice actor, and who might it be?
Laura Bailey, she’s a cutie who has some solid range and a pretty unique voice overall. Big fan.

As far as seiyuu go I haven’t thought about it too much so I’ll be boring and say Tomokazu Sugita since he’s always good fun.

8.) Where do you watch your shows or read your manga?
On my TV, right next to my monitor. It’s very rare that I watch my anime on anything other than a TV.

9.) Have you ever played a game based off of an anime?
Name a Dragon Ball game and I’ve probably played it. I also avidly play Duel Links currently. Big fan of the Ultimate Ninja series. Aaaand…uh…probably others. But yes, essentially.

10.) What is your favorite anime animal or creature?
Don’t think I have one, me and mascots don’t really get along too well, usually.

11.) What anime would you want you live in?
Danball Senki. A world where portable robos are commonplace is too enticing for me to ignore.

12.) What is your least favorite anime to date?
Mirai Nikki/Future Diary

13.) How would you improve your favorite anime, or would you at all?
Raise the native resolution, Summer Wars is honestly pretty close to perfection in my eyes, but I don’t know that I could say what would make it better myself.

14.) Do you, or did you used to, follow the monthly/irregular updates for your favorite manga?
Tbh I don’t think I can remember the last time I was caught up to an anime I followed other than AoT. I did stay up to date on that for a while, coming back to my bookstore every few months after work to stay with it. Preeeeetty far behind now, though.

15.) Overall, do you prefer the manga or the anime of any given series?
Uh…not off the top of my head. Attack on Titan’s the only one that comes to mind, favoring the anime and having dropped the show really early on. Weird for a sakuga nerd like me but there are certain things about the direction and framing that I don’t like.

16.) Would you consider anime better than Western animation?
They’re different in almost every way so it’s really hard to compare the two. I like both but I’m definitely more invested in the former.

17.) What is your favorite series?
Gintama, by a landslide. Such a great series, I couldn’t even begin to sing its praises. It’s honestly one of the few shows that, despite its length, I’d recommend to anyone and everyone.

18.) What genre do you prefer in your anime?
None really, I’m down for pretty much all of them if they’re interesting enough. Don’t really prefer one over the other.

19.) What is your least favorite genre?
My answer would normally be none but at the moment, though it’s not a “genre” per se, Isekai. Never seen a trend like this breed such bad content for so long. Scary that SAO isn’t even close to the worst of it.

20.) What is your least favorite thing about anime?
There are a lot of things that I dislike about the industry but overall “the fans” would be my answer, second only to how the industry endorses fans to support samey and low quality cash-ins. Among many many many many many other things.

I love anime.

Favorite characters are hard for me, don’t think I have one, just a shitton of characters I enjoy.

1. I don’t really have a preferred genre. The things I like can range from sad to happy, or serious to goofy. I like comedy, but I’m not big on gag series like Osomatsu-kun for the most part.

2. My least favorite genre is definitely ecchi. Like, I’m a redblooded male. Some fanservice is good, and fanservice series has their place. But, it’s not what I like to watch when I just wanna watch something good, and the community that pushes ecchi is mega gross to me.

3. As an extension of 19, I’m going with the community. Too many weebs have this victim complex and a lack of understanding of how their community operates. Like, enjoying anime is great and all, but identifying as a weeb and all the stereotypes that comes with it is a big problem to me, personally. While stereotypes generally are unwarranted in most cases, I think that weebs have earned their spot as far as the validity of their stereotypes.

4. I enjoy pretty much any delinquent character. Kuwabara from YYH, Metal Bat from One Punch Man, Sentarou from Kids on the Slope, to name a few.

5. There’s two for me. Togame x Shichika from Katanagatari, and Daichi Shinagawa x Hana Adachi from Flunk Punk Rumble (Yankee-kun to Megane-chan).

Day 22… Shipping is one of those things I prefer to stay far, far away from, so I really don’t have many to speak of. Those that I do are implied to be outright canon, anyway, and I see OTPs as fanon stuff.

Oof, hard to choose since I’m not that good at keeping track of what I watch xD
Can’t say I have a hard favorite though as any strong female leads are great. Ones that come to mind rn are Miss Kobayashi from MKDM and Chiyuki from Death Parade.
Same for male characters, I just can’t really choose. Haikyuu’s characters all had great development and I adore Reg from Made in Abyss.
I did also want to mention Nanachi from Made in Abyss as well because their character is definitely among my favorites. They are left ambigious in gender in the manga and anime, though.

22.) What is your favorite couple/OTP?
Another tough one. I can’t say I really have a favorite ship tbh, there’s just so manyyyy.
Some romantic dynamics I do enjoy are Momo x Jiro from MHA, Kyoya x Haruhi from Ouran and Shoko x Shoya from A Silent Voice. Kiki x Tombo from Kiki’s Delivery Service, Shizuku x Seiji from Whisper of the Heart, and Hikaru x Haruhi from Ouran were hella cute and fluffy too. :wobbhide:
Some of my favorite non-romantic dynamics would be Shoyo x Tobio in Haikyuu, Phosphophyllite x Antarcticite from Land of the Lustrous, and Nanachi x Mitty from Made in Abyss.

22.) What is your favourite couple/OTP?

I used to super be into shipping and stuff when I was in high school. I was so passionate for it, but 5-6 years later, that kind of stuff doesn’t interest me anymore. I like anime with romance, but I never develop a favourite couple or an OTP anymore.

Day 22: What is your favorite couple/OTP?

I have more OTPs in games than anime, but I DO love Miaka/Tamahome from Fushigi Yuugi and Yato/Hiyori from Noragami. <3

The only OTP I have is from an anime in everything but location of production. White Rose from RWBY is lovely, but only because Checkmate is dead.

1. What is your favorite couple/OTP?

I don’t have one. I ship Jessie/James from Team Rocket (Pokemon) as a joke but that’s it

Day 23… Surprisingly enough, I’ll actually say I like the fanservice-y tropes… as long as they’re done in a tasteful manner. Fanservice is not merely about sex appeal - it’s merely just appealing to the fans, despite what connotations that typically has. An example of this actually exists in the pokemon anime, in the sense that, for some episodes, it focuses on a species and attempts to appeal to people who would generally like it (i.e. one Johto episode is essentially the story of Hachiko, but uses Ninetales and emphasizes its mystical, almost ghost-like traits). Of course, such episodes are likely to be filler (such as the aforementioned example), but at the same time I merely wanted to mention it as an example of what I mean.

As for what I don’t like, it’d probably be the self-insert protagonist. This is a weird one, but it deals with protagonists more akin to someone like Kirito - An “Average Joe” who is effectively God at his preferred subject of field, like how the aformentioned Kirito might as well be a shivan avatar in the world of SAO. Generally, this is what I feel kills a show most for me, as it usually safeguards the character behind indestructium-brand plot armor that’s six inches thick.
Interestingly, this doesn’t always kill things for me - in some cases, it can actually be good for the work in question. While I feel games are perfectly fine, and actually the best medium for self-inserts due to how “blank slate” the character can be (i.e. Stardew, Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey, Monster Hunter) and how that can reflect in the player’s skill and improvement, this isn’t exactly “30 days of games,” right? Instead, I’ll point to the Gregory Horror Show - Unusually, the first two volumes are built around a first-person camera, with occasional “framing shots” meant to emphasize something going on. While it’s something that can be considered very experimental, at the same time the show wouldn’t really work that well without it. Oddly, the third volume focuses on the eponymous Gregory as the main character and lacks a first-person camera as a result, and while it’s still fine, it is somewhat of a departure in that it focuses more upon comedy rather than the horror and phobias the first two volumes use.

1. Are there certain anime tropes that you prefer or dislike?

Prefer: I love, love, love visual humor. The sweatdrops, the exaggerated faces, the angry faces, etc. I also like the whole “running to school with toast in mouth” bit.

Dislike: Fanservice in the sexual sense. Like the “Beauty and the Beach” episode of Pokemon.

23.) Are there certain anime tropes that you prefer or dislike?

I can’t really think of one that I prefer, but there’s one I hate.

Tsunderes and the accidental pervert protagonist trope. You’re introduced to these two characters, who most of the time are either going to get together or be good friends. One is a girl who struggles to express her true emotions and gets angry very easily and usually comes with the line, “I-it’s not like I like you or anything! B-baka!”. Then you have the guy protagonist who shows up on the scene, usually just moving into the area or something like that. And then these two characters end up in a situation where the protagonist accidentally walks in on the girl changing clothes, or he accidentally gropes her, or something else that’s predictable. So the girl freaks out, smacks or kicks him so hard into the atmosphere you’d think there’s no way she’s human, and then proceeds to scream over the guy’s desperate attempts at explaining his innocence before she “hmphs” and storms away.

This…has been done so many times now that it’s become stale for me. Anime with a tsundere as a main character usually put me off from watching them because the trope is done so poorly. Like, there are good tsundere tropes out there…they’re just near impossible to find.

Day 23: Are there certain anime tropes that you prefer or dislike?

I love action in my anime, but I get very tired of the “there’s a new, stronger bad guy” and all of a sudden there’s a new technique or some random power that the main character gets in order to beat them. I mean, that’s fine for the big bad of an anime, maybe a second time even. But any more than that and you’re just dragging the show on. Bleach is a HUGE offender with this for me. I liked the show back when I watched it, but they keep adding stronger dudes, giving Ichigo and new power, rinse and repeat.

I GOT REMINDED OF THIS ONE: when a character is about to fuckin confess or say something really important and a truck or fireworks make it inaudible to the other character. :angery:

Tropes I like: overexaggerated anime faces are always hilarious and I do like plot twists that can like, turn the tides of the show after you’ve seen them.

I’m not much into shipping, but Okabe and Kurisu go amazing together. I’m very sorry Zos, because it’s literally a tsundere-perverted protagonist situation for the first half of the show, but it gets better once the show ramps up, I promise…

Day 23: Are there certain anime tropes that you prefer or dislike?

So leading in from the last one… honestly, a lot of the more common things that you see in anime I’ve only seen once or twice so they’re not recurring enough to bother me just yet. The ‘increasing power’ trope though, is very unforgivable in SO many ways, and it’s honestly what turned me off from normal television and certain cartoons as well. Really bad fanservice also sounds kind of scary.

Honestly, one of the things I like in shows are when they’re unpredictable or take a course of action you don’t expect; the classic happy ending can still happen I guess, but the path should be as unique as possible. So I guess that eliminates plot-based tropes.

I suppose embarrassed or shocked faces are always welcome, and when there’s that one character that interrupts a very socially or physically hazardous situation but manages to talk their way out of it unfazed in such a ridiculous fashion, I love it no matter how cheesy it is. Just makes them seem more awesome to me :fufu: