Kavanaugh

serious
Kavanaugh

Kavanaugh

The debate around Brett Kavanaugh was quite large during October in the United States.

For those who don’t know, Brett Kavanaugh was Donald Trump’s nomination for Supreme Court Justice to replace Anthony Kennedy. Many democratic politicians criticized his nomination for his “obvious bias” toward leftist principles. However, what was most problematic surrounding his nomination was his past.

Background

On June 30, 2018, a confidential letter was written to Senator Dianne Feinstein (a Democrat) in regards to the nominee, citing that Dr. Christine Blasey Ford was physically pushed into a bedroom, locked in, pushed onto a bed and pressed down on with “substantial” weight by the nominee Brett Kavanaugh, his friend was also in the room. She escaped before any further action could be made by the nominee and his friend and locked herself in a bathroom. The incident apparently happened in the 1980’s during her high school years, where she was 15 and Brett was 17, and she had only told her husband and counselor preluding the letter in 2012 and 2013.

After the letter was received, Ford took a Polygraph test which concluded Ford was truthful. Ford decided in late August she did not want to go public with her accusation since she believed he would be confirmed as a Supreme Court Justice. As early as September 12th, a leak reported by The Intercept told of the letter that Senator Feinstein was in possession of. This was unintended by Ford supposedly, and she would later come forward on September 16th.

Despite the charges, due to a “lack of evidence” Brett Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court on Saturday, October 6th. The vote was 50 to 48, almost entirely along party lines. Christine Blasey Ford apparently receives death threats to this day.

Additional information can be found on various sights with CNN’s Timeline arguably having the most organization around when the events occurred. https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/kavanaugh-ford-timeline/index.html

Finally,

• Do you believe Brett Kavanaugh should have been confirmed to the Supreme Court?
  • What are your thoughts on the amount of evidence in this case? Do you believe enough time was allowed to do a thorough investigation?
  • What are your thoughts on the common, “innocent until proven guilty” argument in this case?
  • Do you support the #meetoo movement?

Chill out just got less chill

Given all that, no, he absolutely shouldn’t have been allowed in. I believe there could have been plenty of time, but that’s what Repubs don’t want so they go ahead and get him in before things can escalate.

I think accusations like this need to be taken seriously. If she confided in people way back in 2012-2013 then odds are she’s not just saying it for the fun of it. And if a person like that is coming into a position like this, it only makes sense that they’d want people to understand what kind of person this guy is and how that can affect the rest of us.

Edit: idk what #metoo movement is whoops
Edit of Edit: I mean, I’m pretty sure it’s probably what it sounds like in relation to this topic, but y’know

I don’t blame anyone for not reaching a verdict in a case where the type of crime typically does not leave a lot of evidence to make use of, and one that happened years before most people here were even conceived at that. Sexual assault allegations should always be taken seriously, regardless of who is the accuser and the accused, but taking it seriously does not mean immediately making a judgment one way or the other based on one’s pre-conceived notions and throwing all else out the window. Not deciding cases based on evidence and logic sets a very dangerous precedent, one that won’t seem so great to you when the shoe is on the other foot.

That said, the Republicans did not really handle the issue well, and there’s reasons besides the sexual assault allegations to think that Kavanaugh is not a good SCOTUS pick.

Do you believe Brett Kavanaugh should have been confirmed to the Supreme Court?
Yes.

What are your thoughts on the amount of evidence in this case?
An emotional testimony doesn’t equate to evidence. In the case of evidence, there was a lack of it and lack of corroboration between the testimony and ‘witness’ accounts.

Do you believe enough time was allowed to do a thorough investigation?
No. Do I think there would have been a different outcome if it was longer? No.

What are your thoughts on the common, “innocent until proven guilty” argument in this case?
That’s literally the foundation of criminal justice, and socially it is the complete opposite.

Do you support the #meetoo movement?
I support getting justice for those who were sexually abused, but I do not support the #metoo movement.

• Do you believe Brett Kavanaugh should have been confirmed to the Supreme Court?

Testimonies of sexual assault (which I consider entirely credible) aside, the guy is clearly unworthy of a lifetime position - the simultaneously cunning behaviour and wildly immature temperament displayed by him, let alone the entirely obvious partisanship that outranks literally every other choice on the preliminary lists, totally disqualified him.

• What are your thoughts on the amount of evidence in this case? Do you believe enough time was allowed to do a thorough investigation?

No, the investigation was limited exactly so it couldn’t be thorough. But I wish the news organisation Ford went to (I believe WaPo) well before the hearings began acted quicker. May have given more time for credible investigation - though I admit that the specifics of the case were hard to nail down in a court of law.

• Do you support the #meetoo movement?

Of course, for I am not a shallow minded idiot preoccupied with laughable thoughts of emasculation unlike someone else I can think of.