Abortion

serious
Abortion

So starts the thread on a very controversial subject and one which has some interesting splits in it for sure. The subject in hand is abortion.

In the UK, the right to an abortion as we know it has been in effect since the Abortion Act was introduced in 1967, whereas in the United States of America it is decided by each state itself, which has been in effect since 1973. The UK’s 1967 Abortion Act does not extend to Northern Ireland and therefore generally speaking it is still classified as a criminal offence, unless in specific scenarios such as risk to the mother’s life (although this has been addressed as recently as this year).

On average abortions can be carried out within 26 weeks of conception, or at any time if the mother’s health is deemed to be under risk if she goes through the full term of pregnancy.

I’ll pose some questions to push the discussion initially, however please bring anything you find relevant to the table. Remember to stay on topic and most importantly respect each others’ opinions.

• Pro-life or pro-choice?
  • What has caused you to decide this?
  • Pro-choice: out of the parents, whose right is it to decide if an abortion is to be carried out or not?
  • Pro-life: when do you think consciousness begins?
  • In the case of NI and other affected areas, do you think religion is a stumbling block in the introduction of abortion laws?
  • In the scenario the child has been diagnosed with a grave illness or a disability before being born, do you believe the parent/s have right to decide on an abortion?

Chill out just got less chill

Pro-Choice, because it should always be the decision of the carrier and not on lawmakers that physically cannot. Its not their body, not matter how much they may think it is.

I believe it’s ultimately the mother’s decision. Having unprotected sex should not condemn a person to carrying out a pregnancy, whether the father would want it or not. Among same sex couples, usually the decision is agreed on, I imagine.

Abortions are gonna happen whether they’re legal or not. It’s just a matter of where and how safely it happens. It’s not inhumane to have one, and a mother has the right to decide whether or not they want a fetus to live inside them and then continue to do so after birth for a t least another 18 years.

Cases of rape, stillbirth, risk to the mother, etc go without saying that the mother should be prioritized over a fetus.Even if a person is “careless” and ends up getting pregnant because of it, you can’t punish them with another life. If that child isn’t wanted, chances are they’re not going to have a good quality of life, or they’re going to be put up for adoption. Not to mention people who can’t financially care for a child. You can’t put more strain and stress on them (for years) just because they wanted to fool around.

I’m always tired of hearing the whole “what if your mom had aborted you?” Well I wouldn’t be here, now would I? I also would never know it happened, because a fetus doesn’t even grow a brain or anything like that for quite a while. I wouldn’t have an opinion on it if she had lol. That wasn’t her case though, I happened to come along because she wanted a kid. I’m actually the only one that made it, because the two little sisters I might have had were stillborn. So if she hadn’t wanted me, well, that’s he decision, and she has full right to make it.

Pro-Choice.

Really, I feel it’s by default the mother’s choice (i.e. accidental pregnancy, child of rape, etc.), but should be considered by both the mother and father in select cases (the father didn’t want a child after consensual copulation, for example). If we don’t consider these select cases, we wind up in a situation where mothers would have children, and then divorce their husbands to squeeze out alimony payments over minor, false charges meant to leverage the courts more in their favor - or something as extreme and life-ruining such as a falsified rape claim.

While I can’t really speak for myself as a male with few romantic experiences, I can still speak as someone who has more than a few deep emotional scars, and grudges that result from them. A child of rape would more than likely wind up in an orphanage at best, due to the mother not wanting to associate with a horrific memory such as that - at worst, they’ll be either abused, neglected, or left to die in a cold dumpster. Either way, you’re still creating more emotional trauma.

As for an extreme disability or a grave illness, it’s still the choice of the parents. Forcing a mother to abort just because they’ll produce a child with a weak heart or a malformed and useless leg or whatever is cruelty towards the parents is simply medically overbearing, and guaranteed to create that emotional trauma while it’s possible they could live normally, aebit with a wheelchair or a pacemaker or something.

As for religion’s impact, it depends, honestly. It’s a case similar to the anti-vaxxer movement and how stupid I think it is, or religions that rely on “faith healing” to battle cancer or something like that. Ultimately though, religion should be distanced from politics, and considered “moral laws” to a proper, hard-coded legal system. Regardless, there’s no use denying it has a strong negative impact, but that strays into other topics. Really, this entire religion point strays into a whole different topic given my views on it, but I digress.

Pro-choice purely down to practicality - abortions will always be sought out and they will always happen regardless of legality, so therefore, it is safer for the women involved to have a regulated and available avenue for them.

The debate of whether it is murder, whether it is right, whether the fetus has a right to life and so forth is largely irrelevant to me - I naturally have all the very pro-choice opinions, but the moral debate interferes with the reality that abortions will always take place regardless of these discussions. Denying this is only living in denial for some ludicrous crusade.

I’m mostly pro-choice. There are just too many factors other than unprotected sex that cause unwanted pregnancy, and within a certain number of weeks in the beginning of a pregnancy, the pro-life argument isn’t something I can really get behind.

I’m also of similar opinion to God that abortions will continue to take place regardless, so rather than arguing whether it should or shouldn’t be legal, I think recognizing that it will happen regardless and regulating it to ensure it happens safely should be the highest priority.