A couple of questions

A couple of questions

I want to start by saying that this is intended as preliminary feedback and questioning, kinda like I suppose you get after the start of a new project in uni or something, and isn’t like an interrogation or rant. So if I word something badly (which might happen, my english isn’t what it used to be lmao) it’s not intended in that way.

The site has been up a couple of days now which isn’t a long time to be sure, and it’s grown so incredibly fast. Of course, that’s great news but it also comes with a potential set of drawbacks for the staff now. When a new project, arguably released before it was entirely ready, grows quickly shortly after it’s birth, there is a monumental risk of it collapsing, unable to keep up with its growth. And it’s not hard to see that this sudden growth was a huge influx of members, moving away from PC - myself being one of them. However, all I can see right now is a sleeker, less established PC in front of me. Hell, even Rom Hacks and Game Dev is signposted in the header! I thought the point was not to be a copy of PC but to be something else, unique. And as far as I can tell there isn’t the member-base to warrant signposting Rom Hacks and Game Dev here either. What will people find that they can’t find easier somewhere else, with more resources and experienced faces to help?

The second lies with the hierarchy and organisation of roles on the site. Who are the staff? Who are the individuals responsible for each section? Who do I go to for questions about a certain category, for help with the site, for questions or help regarding another staff member? None of this is explicitly clear, and leaves the forums feeling like they’re in a sort of free-for-all state where there is not clear control (of course there is, but it’s how it appears).

Something that bothers me is how quickly this site came up, but with how little development it has had, how little tough thorough thought it has received regarding direction, regarding development, regarding purpose. Right now, it feels like a place for people to go to, to avoid the slander spread across PC, instead of a place that separates itself from the rest. I understand the reasons why it came up so quickly, but it puts a huge burden on the staff to work insanely hard to define and establish this site as its own, unique board before interest withers after the initial boom of excitement at a new place to hang-out. There needs to be uniqueness, a new focus, determination and a clear view of what this site is, what it wants to be and exactly how it’s getting there. And I’m not feeling any of that right now. And that worries me, when I know keeping up with quick growth requires quick response and quick development to push the project to keep up with the growth and extra demand that comes with it.

So my questions are:

• What is the focus of this site?
  • Who are the staff?
  • How do we find them quickly?
  • How can we tell different ranking members apart for quick distinction on who to go to with issues?
  • What are the roles of the staff? (What power does each rank hold over the lower ranks or the general member-base?)
  • An extension of the previous question; why the need for quite so many members of staff? Does this serve a purpose? If so, what?
  • What direction is the forum going in?
  • What are staff doing to ensure this project doesn’t fall flat on its face in its early stages?
  • Lasty, are the staff committed and determined to put in the amount of time, work and effort it is going to take to push this from a forum for the PC-migrants into a forum which stands out against the crowd and pushes its name to the top of the ladder, competing with yet standing out against the big names.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and know that I really want to see this place succeed to the highest degree possible, hence the questions ^^

I can only speak for myself, but the idea of this site is for us to shape our own community at the moment. There’s no real “lynchpin” of why we are different from the rest. I think we’re trying to let the community grow organically and meet the needs of others. I can’t answer your reason we have hacks and game dev headers, because I’m not sure that’s something I agree with, but obviously I’m biased and would rather promote creative works.

https://forum.safarizone.net/about

Will show you the staff list! Though you are right, maybe we need an explanation of each role to be more helpful.

That’s all I have to reply to, as I’m sure others have much more insightful thoughts about it who took part in much wider planning that I did.

Adding to what Nina said, an explanation of the roles can be found on the FAQ page. The roles with “power over the lower ranks” as you put it are the higher staff, who you can recognize because we all have different coloured stars next to our avatars, rather than the moderator hammers or other group icons.

We have a large staff and planners list because a lot of people coming from/leaving PC wanted to help out and we really had no basis on which to choose between them, and wanted to get as many opinions as possible when developing ideas for the new site. We’ll be looking into the best way to handle this, such as removing the planners system if needed, in the coming weeks.

Right but that only really answers two of my questions, maybe three, all the rest are still open. I’m also not just asking for me, but rather so that others can also see the approach the current staff is taking and get an insight into your ideals and visions, as well as your organisation and teamwork.

What is the focus of this site?
We are working on defining that :slight_smile:

Who are the staff?
Everyone on the staff list, as listed in the link above. Planners aren’t staff.

How do we find them quickly?
At the link, but we are aiming to have staff of the section listed within threads in the forums themselves ideally.

How can we tell different ranking members apart for quick distinction on who to go to with issues?
It’ll be listed once we figure out where :slight_smile:

What are the roles of the staff? (What power does each rank hold over the lower ranks or the general member-base?)
We are discussing that :slight_smile:

An extension of the previous question; why the need for quite so many members of staff? Does this serve a purpose? If so, what?
A lot were from from PC initially, however from now on we have specific procedures that we will put in place for promotions - also being discussed!

What direction is the forum going in?
Once we sort out the other parts we will have a better idea on this.

What are staff doing to ensure this project doesn’t fall flat on its face in its early stages?
Will be discussing super soon!

Lasty, are the staff committed and determined to put in the amount of time, work and effort it is going to take to push this from a forum for the PC-migrants into a forum which stands out against the crowd and pushes its name to the top of the ladder, competing with yet standing out against the big names.

Absolutely.

Sorry it’s hard to give concrete answers… we have 10 higher staff, and some are busy setting up areas of it such as the battling server & others have some loose ends to tie up currently but we are all actively discussing everything, and as soon as we have agreed on processes and systems we will be absolutely transparent about it with you guys. Right now still in the discussion stage unfortunately! I’m personally trying hard to bring up as much as I can think of to discuss with the other hstaff. The only problem is… there IS a lot to sort out and with half of the hstaff tied up with working on site features initially it might take a little bit for all of us to let you know what’s happening. Once social media, general development, zine and the battle server is up we will definitely be full hands on board in terms of decisions plans and direction.

Sorry I know it’s not really the answer you were wanting but it’s the best I can give for now!

Don’t apologise, those are some good answers, and the conviction of your answers is also very encouraging. It doesn’t matter if the answers were short or “we are discussing it” but it’s just great to see that these thoughts are being discussed and raised, and let’s one put a lot more confidence in the staff and the idea that this isn’t just some funky forum that will vanish as soon as it came, but rather that it’s a serious forum that intends to shoot for the stars, and that’s great for a starting point.
And as you said, there is a lot to sort out and full answers aren’t to be expected, but to know that there are answers in the works is perfect ^^
It’s a shame there’s no love button like on YouTube… Maybe I’ll suggest that as an addition haha