I want to start by saying that this is intended as preliminary feedback and questioning, kinda like I suppose you get after the start of a new project in uni or something, and isn’t like an interrogation or rant. So if I word something badly (which might happen, my english isn’t what it used to be lmao) it’s not intended in that way.
The site has been up a couple of days now which isn’t a long time to be sure, and it’s grown so incredibly fast. Of course, that’s great news but it also comes with a potential set of drawbacks for the staff now. When a new project, arguably released before it was entirely ready, grows quickly shortly after it’s birth, there is a monumental risk of it collapsing, unable to keep up with its growth. And it’s not hard to see that this sudden growth was a huge influx of members, moving away from PC - myself being one of them. However, all I can see right now is a sleeker, less established PC in front of me. Hell, even Rom Hacks and Game Dev is signposted in the header! I thought the point was not to be a copy of PC but to be something else, unique. And as far as I can tell there isn’t the member-base to warrant signposting Rom Hacks and Game Dev here either. What will people find that they can’t find easier somewhere else, with more resources and experienced faces to help?
The second lies with the hierarchy and organisation of roles on the site. Who are the staff? Who are the individuals responsible for each section? Who do I go to for questions about a certain category, for help with the site, for questions or help regarding another staff member? None of this is explicitly clear, and leaves the forums feeling like they’re in a sort of free-for-all state where there is not clear control (of course there is, but it’s how it appears).
Something that bothers me is how quickly this site came up, but with how little development it has had, how little tough thorough thought it has received regarding direction, regarding development, regarding purpose. Right now, it feels like a place for people to go to, to avoid the slander spread across PC, instead of a place that separates itself from the rest. I understand the reasons why it came up so quickly, but it puts a huge burden on the staff to work insanely hard to define and establish this site as its own, unique board before interest withers after the initial boom of excitement at a new place to hang-out. There needs to be uniqueness, a new focus, determination and a clear view of what this site is, what it wants to be and exactly how it’s getting there. And I’m not feeling any of that right now. And that worries me, when I know keeping up with quick growth requires quick response and quick development to push the project to keep up with the growth and extra demand that comes with it.
So my questions are:
- What is the focus of this site?
- Who are the staff?
- How do we find them quickly?
- How can we tell different ranking members apart for quick distinction on who to go to with issues?
- What are the roles of the staff? (What power does each rank hold over the lower ranks or the general member-base?)
- An extension of the previous question; why the need for quite so many members of staff? Does this serve a purpose? If so, what?
- What direction is the forum going in?
- What are staff doing to ensure this project doesn’t fall flat on its face in its early stages?
- Lasty, are the staff committed and determined to put in the amount of time, work and effort it is going to take to push this from a forum for the PC-migrants into a forum which stands out against the crowd and pushes its name to the top of the ladder, competing with yet standing out against the big names.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and know that I really want to see this place succeed to the highest degree possible, hence the questions ^^